Money Doesn't Run The World



Money is a necessary evil. Well, money in itself is not evil, but it is how society hyper focuses on the need for money, and uses it to define success. Sure, we need money to pay for things and provide for ourselves and our families, but it is ever so important not to let the worldly desires for more money and more things overrule and override our minds.

I haven’t struggled with many ‘adult’ money issues. I’ve never had to take out a mortgage or pay monthly bills, but as a college student, I’ve had many books, fees, and tuition to pay. I worked a few jobs in high school trying to earn and save some money for college, but it wasn’t until I graduated high school and started working full time that I realized the power of money.


I had to buy or bring a lunch every day to work, and I thought since I got a discount at work, why not just buy food. I didn’t realize how much of my paycheck was going right back into the company I was working for. I saved and (mostly) spent and just barely paid for my first semester of college. It was a tight budget, but I was still comfortable enough to buy more than ramen noodles. I had enough money left over to purchase my first car just days after returning home in December of 2018.


It was hard finding a job once I was home, and I didn’t start working full time until February. I was supposed to return to Rexburg in mid-April, but with almost no money in my accounts after purchasing my second car, and much more reliable car, I decided to defer another semester and return in the fall of 2019.

My second semester is still currently in process. It has been financially stable up until the last few weeks. Money got pretty tight, especially since I’ve made three trips to Utah in the last two months. This week’s topic came just at the right time as I’m getting ready to go back to working full-time as soon as I get home. I read an article from the September 2007 Ensign titled “One For the Money” by Elder Marvin J Ashton.The following are a few points from Elder Ashton that really spoke to me.

·     Teach family members early the importance of working and earning.

o   I was taught how to work at a young age. Granted they were chores, but I don’t mind cleaning up a mess at work. Getting my hands dirty doesn’t faze me. If I needed to get a job to make ends meet, I’d do pretty much any job because I’ve been taught how to work.

·     Teach family members that paying financial obligations promptly is part of integrity and honesty development.


o  Elder Ashton is talking about paying our tithes. We are commanded to give 10% of all that we earn to the Lord and His church. Our tithing dollars go towards lots of things, building temples and church buildings, missionary aid, and tuition for church schools. I didn’t appreciate how much tithing helps and how far it reaches. The tithes of those in Africa helped build my university and lower the cost of my tuition. Most of the tithes that pay for temples and tuition come from people who will never see a temple in their life. It is so important that we pay our tithes fully to show Heavenly Father how much we appreciate the blessings we have of attending a church school and temples.

Comments